The Q&A Archives: ground cover

Question: My front yard is a steep hill for about 4 feet going to the road making the lawn hard to mow. What can I use as a ground cover that is low to the ground and will survive in sun all day?

Answer: There are lots of groundcovers to choose from: Liriope (Liriope spicata); Dark green grass-like evergreen foliage, summer flower spikes in shades from light purple to violet. Leadwort (Ceratostigma plumbaginoides); Lime-green foliage with tinges of red. Clear blue star-shaped flowers with red seedheads, summer to fall. Lady?s Mantle
(Alchemilla molli); Large round light green-gray leaves sparkle when holding moisture
droplets. Sprays of small yellowgreen flowers. Coral Bells (Heuchera americana
?Chocolate Veil?); Deep maroon foliage, small delicate pink flowers on tall flower spikes. Moss Phlox (Phlox subulata ?Emerald Blue?); Profusion of early spring blue blooms, glossy evergreen foliage. Catmint (Nepeta x faassenii ?Walker?s Low?); Green-grey foliage. Long lasting blue flowers in spring/ summer. Salvia (Salvia nemorosa / S. sylvestris ?Blue Hill?); Blue flowers late spring through early fall attractive to pollinators and hummingbirds.

Hope one of these suggestions is just right for your landscape.