The Q&A Archives: roses

Question: i live in Florida west cost, i really enjoy roses, but they seem to bud and flower now until it gets into the main heat of summer and then they don't do so well. I have them next to my lanai so they do get late day shade. any suggestions on types I should look for to purchase. thank you for any help in this matter.

Answer: Some rose varieties grow better in Florida than others. I recommend the Noisette Roses, known to be 'roses for the South', and the English Roses by David Austin. Rosa Blush Noisette rose is actually a rose bush, but the long and arching canes makes it much more suitable as a climber. It's lovely trained over an arbor. Blush Noistette roses start flowering in june or april, depending on where you live, when huge clusters of rosy purple buds opens into small blush pink blooms that turn lilac-pink as they age. The fragrance is a delicate spicy scent that is quite lovely. The foilage is pale green and the new growth is almost thornless. David Austin English roses also do well in Florida. Abraham Darby rose is a good selection: I just love the lovely peach colored rose blooms. The 'Heritage' rose, has plump buds that opens into large and beautifully cupped flowers in the style of an Old garden Rose. The flowers come in a variety of pink shades, from the palest blush to warm rose pink deep in the center of the blooms. The fragrance is a lovely citrus-lemon scent. This is a good rose for a border, bed or a hedge. It grows vigorously and fairly compact to an average height for a shrub rose. The foilage is semi- glossy and dark green. The 'Constance Spry' Rose is exceptionally rampant growing plant with large, softly luminous pink, cup-shaped double flowers. The flowers of the 'Pilgrim' rose are softly textured blooms that are beautifully formed. The color is a creamy with rich yellow centers. The flowers come in clusters on strong stems and are sweetly fragrant; ideal as cuttings for flower arrangements. 'Tamora' is a superb English Garden Rose. and a great choice for warm-climate gardeners. The buds are plump and are a red-blushed peach color that open to display very double rosette-like flowers. The rich peach colored petals are the colors of pink and honey-gold.
The intoxicating fragrance is that of myrrh. The flowers bloom in late spring, with a good to excellent repeat flowering all the way through fall. The foilage is semi-glossy and dark green.

Hope one of these suggestions is just right for your landscape.