The Q&A Archives: What are Klondike Melons?

Question: I recently purchased 3 starts for melons, Hale's Best, Crenshaw and something called Klondike. The tag only said Klondike. Thinking I would be able to identify this kind of melon in the many gardening books I have, I brought it home. No such luck, researched everything I have, then went on the web. Still I haven't been able to find anything on it. Could this type of melon be a hybrid especially for my area? Please see if you guys can find it. I'm the kind of gardener that NEEDS to know everything about what I plant so I can head-off any problems.

Answer: Klondike is a watermelon, oblong in shape, with deep pink flesh. There's a Klondike Striped Blue Ribbon that has a striped rind, and a Klondike R-7 with a deep green rind. Mature fruits usually weigh in at 20-30 pounds. You'll be able to figure out which you have by the color of the rind. Enjoy your melons!