The Q&A Archives: Differences in Blue Prince vs. Blue Princess Holly

Question: I have a blue prince and a blue princess holly and would like to tell the difference. They both have berries and purple stems. The leaves have a blue-green tint. I want to make sure that I have a male and a female for pollination (if it matters). Could you please let me know how to tell the difference?

Answer: If you're sure both shrubs are bearing fruit, then it sounds like you have a pair of princesses. And since there is indeed fruit, they have somehow been pollinated. First, if they are right next to each other, make sure the fruiting branches come from both, and aren't just spreading from one into the other bush. Second, if you find that both are indeed fruiting, you should contact whoever sold you the shrubs and let them know they were mislabled, and that you need a Prince for your yard!

Another way to determine if they are male/female is to get a magnifying glass for a look at the flowers. Male flowers have stamen - lots of longish stalks with pollen-bearing pads on the end. Female blossoms have a prominent swollen center. Good luck!