The Q&A Archives: Ground Cover for Shady Sandy CO

Question: I live in Colorado Springs, CO and need a ground cover that likes shade, sandy soil, and lilac roots. I tried ajuga last year and was unsuccessful. This is to complement our stepping stones to the entrance to our front door. Could I start it indoorsfrom seed or would it be best to buy plants? I need something quick. Please help. Melissa Marts Colorado Springs, CO

Answer: There are a number of plants that should do well in your situation. Try Aegopodium (goutweed), or Arctostaphyylos (bearberry). These both tolerate dry conditions and shade. Plants would be quicker than seed. For other ideas, consult a local nursery. There might be native plants that would fill the bill!! Be sure to water on a regular basis the first year to aid the plants in getting established.