The Q&A Archives: Can I trim my lemon tree now?

Question: I live in Gilbert, AZ and I have lemons and orange trees. would it be ok to trim the trees now? A few years ago a trim my lemon tree and since the number of lemons reduced significantly and don't know why.

Answer: Citrus trees are best trimmed right after you harvest your fruit. I trim mine in December or January. If you prune them now you will reduce the number of leaves the tree has which can expose developing fruit to too much sunshine. Each developing fruit requires the tree to expend lots of energy, which it gets from the leaves. Reducing the number of leaves will slow the flowering ability and the ability of the tree to ripen the fruit it has already set. I'd wait until after harvest to prune the tree back. It will flower right on time after pruning and you should get a larger harvest next season. Good luck with your trees.