The Q&A Archives: Wisteria trees

Question: I have 4 Wisteria trees that have not bloomed in 5 years, but have lots of leaves. What am I doing wrong? When and how do I trim them also? They are about 5 ft tall. Thanks

Answer: The most common reasons for lack of bloom on wisteria include too little sun (not a factor here), overfertilization with nitrogen (for example if the trees are growing next to a lawn that is heavily fertilized and the trees are also fertilized separately), improper pruning, winter damage or spring freeze damage to the flower buds, and finally and maybe most common, lack of maturity. Wisteria grown from seed can average about eight years before they bloom. The following web page about growing wisteria may also offer some tips, it includes detailed information about pruning and training as well as overall care for these wonderful plants. I hope this helps you troubleshoot.