The Q&A Archives: red ants

Question: I have red ants in my garden. They have removed all the plants around their mound(home) do I need to get rid of them or will they leave my corn and tomatoes alone? They also bit my puppy and stung him so I guess that they are fire ants-I live in CO.
Thanks, Katie

Answer: You don't have too many options when dealing with fire ants in a vegetable garden. You can try pouring very hot to boiling water directly on the mounds which will kill FRESH fire ant mounds 60% of time. Be careful not to cook plants! Or you can use Combat or Spectracide fire ant bait products. These are not approved for use IN vegetable gardens but can be applied around and outside the borders of the garden so the worker ants inside and outside of the garden can gather the bait and take it back to their colonies. Best wishes with your garden!