The Q&A Archives: Royal Palms

Question: I just had two royal palms planted. They are 20 footers. The company that installed them built up a mound of dirt around the palm so that it could collect water. The water is seeping through the dirt when I water it and it doesn't stay in. I'm wondering if I have to add dirt to the border or not? Also, I've been watering it now for a week now. How much longer do I water them for?

Answer: The watering well or water basin is designed to concentrate the water over the root system, allowing it to trickle down and wet the entire root mass. I would reinforce the berm or mound of soil so that the water remains in the watering well. Continue to water for another 4-6 weeks. By then the roots should be well established in your landscape. Best wishes with your new palms.