The Q&A Archives: Moving Astilbe

Question: I have an astilbe planted in a hot dry area. I now know it does not like those conditions. Can I move it? When should this be done?

Answer: It's easier on plants if you move them in the spring or fall months, when the weather is cool and rain is abundant, but if you're careful you can transplant them any time of year. Just prepare the new hole before digging the plant, and don't expose the roots to any more sunlight or air than necessary. After transplanting, water the astilbe well and make sure you apply one inch of water per week to the plant until it becomes established and starts putting out new growth. It's better to move the plant now than allow it to suffer in the hot summer sunshine in its present location.