The Q&A Archives: My lawn is muddy and rocky

Question: I am renting a house that is shady in the front. The front of the house has majority rocks and is muddy. It is not attracting at all. It is also muddy along the walkway to the back porch. I would like to change this into grass. I need suggestions for something affordable. I was suggested to get the grass that is made like a carpet to lay down in these areas. What do you suggest.

Answer: Planting grass seeds or laying sod won't fix the underlying problem, which is poor drainage. Since it is a rental you probably don't want to install a curtain drain to divert the excess water. So, you might simply want to cover the muddy areas with gravel or river rock and plant colorful flowers in containers that you set on the gravel. If you have your heart set on lawn, you'll need to fix the soil drainage problem first, or at least have some topsoil delivered so you can raise the soil level higher. Once you've done that you can sow grass seeds or lay sod and the grass roots should remain high and dry - and healthy.

Good luck with your landscape!