The Q&A Archives: Little Rascals in my Strawberries

Question: My questions deals with the little things that get in my berries. They are doing very well this year, however everytime I go to weed and check on them, little bites are out of the strawberries. Is there a chemical I can use to prevent this from happening? I really would like to save the strawberries so I can enjoy them

Answer: I wouldn't use a chemical--remember, anything that keeps insects, animals and birds from eating your ripe berries will probably affect the taste and/or safety for you, too! It sounds like you need some type of barrier. A floating row cover, secured all around by burying the edges in the soil, may do the trick. Or you might try bird netting--just be sure to suspend it over the plants, so birds can't reach the berries right through it. It would be helpful if you can identify the culprit. Look for tracks on the soil!