The Q&A Archives: light green leaves on vegetasbles.

Question: I am a new member of a community garden. My vegetable leaves are not as green as others. In fact, they appear light green in color. What does this mean. Too much water or not enough water? Also, on's website, I discovered a recipe for liquid compost (vegetables, ammonia, and epsom salt.) which I tried two days ago. if this is a good fertilizing method, how often should it be done?

Answer: The light green color on the leaves indicates a need for nitrogen fertilizer or the result of over watering. I'd feed the vegetables and then be careful with watering. Most veggies need a deep soaking once or twice a week depending upon weather and how much water the soil retains. Water deeply and then check the soil moisture a few days later by sticking your finger down into the soil or digging down with a trowel. If it is still moist an inch or two below the surface you won't need to water for a few more days. If it is dry, it's time to water again. Apply water slowly so it has a chance to trickle down and wet the entire root area of your plants. I've never tried the liquid compost recipe so I can't vouch for it and I don't know how often it would be safe to use.

Best wishes with your new garden!