The Q&A Archives: my bing is bad?

Question: planted a bing cherry tree in early spring, it bloomed, looked great. all of a sudden the leaves have browned and turned in, now new green leaves are starting..I DID NOTICE CAT SCRATCHES ON THE TRUNK, what do I do

Answer: The most common cause of sudden wilting on a newly planted cherry tree is insufficient water. You didn't mention how often you water, but once a week is the minimum in your hot summer growing region. Deep watering is necessary to provide the roots with adequate moisture. Building a shallow basin in the soil around the tree will allow water to soak down in to the root ball with a minimum of run-off. The basin diameter should be approximately twice the size of the root ball. Build a ridge around the edges, using the soil dug from the planting hole. The ridge will hold water to further settle the soil and provide roots with water. When you water, fill the basin, allow it to drain, then fill it a second time. Watering in this manner will concentrate the moisture over the root mass and allow it to trickle down, wetting the entire root mass.

I don't think the cat scratches had anything to do with the wilting.

Best wishes with your cherry tree!