The Q&A Archives: Dracaena under flourescent lights?

Question: I have a large dracaena in a storefront under flourescent lights in a south facing window. It appears to be dying. If I move it from the window area will it be okay under the flourescents? What other large plant would you recommend for the window area?

Answer: Dracaena grows under average household light conditions so your plant is probably getting far too much light and too much heat. I'd move it out of the window and grow it in a cooler environment. Unless the building is extremely dark, it should not need fluorescent lights. The following plants need bright sunlight and can withstand bright sunlight. Put them in your brightest south and west facing windows: Asparagus Meyeri and Sprengeri, Burro?s Tail, Coleus, Dumb Cane, Devil?s Ivy, Jade Plant, Ponytail Palm, Rubber Plant, Schefflera, Snake Plant aka Mother-in-Law?s tongue, Swedish Ivy, Velvet Plant, Wandering Jews, Bamboo.