The Q&A Archives: Starting Pansy Seeds

Question: I recently purchased some of the Pansy "Chalon Giants Mix" seeds. I would like to start them inside for fall planting. I read at your website that they need to be prechilled and planted in July. Could you explain to me the best way to do this?

Answer: Some seeds need a period of moisture and cold before they will germinate. Place the seeds into a container of moistened seed starting mix, cover, and put in the refrigerator for two weeks. Remove the seeds and plant in a tray of moistened seed starting mix, setting them 1/16 of an inch. Cover the tray with plastic wrap and put in a warm place (65F - 75F degrees) until the seeds germinate. They'll sprout in 14-21 days. As soon as they sprout, remove the plastic and place them under a source of bright light. Feed your seedlings with a half-strength solution of liquid fertilizer after they've developed two sets of leaves.You can transplant into the garden when they're large enough to handle - usually after they've developed four sets of leaves.

Today's site banner is by clintbrown and is called "Dicentra"