The Q&A Archives: wisteria

Question: my friend overpruned my wisteria and it didn't get any growth this year. is there any thing that can be done? it is over 10 yrs. old

Answer: You may have to wait for next spring to get any flowers on your wisteria, but it should begin sending out healthy new growth later this summer. I suspect your wisteria is just trying to regain strength after heavy pruning.

Considerable confusion exists about pruning wisteria. The two species most commonly grown are Wisteria floribunda (Japanese wisteria) and Wisteria sinensis (Chinese wisteria), both of which bloom before or with the unfolding of the leaves. Pruning wisteria extensively during the dormant season may encourage rampant vegetative growth the next spring. Instead, in July prune out the long, straggly growth except those branches needed for climbing. This is more likely than anything else to induce flowering. Shoots should be cut back one-third to one-half their length. This will induce them to produce the short spurs that will bear next season's flower clusters. Wisterias are normally vines, but pruning can make them take shrubby and/or weeping forms. Heading back young shoots holds the height at a definite point and after several years, the plant produces a trunk-like stem. Then leaders can be allowed to droop towards the ground. Wisteria will bloom abundantly if planted in good garden loam with full sun, watered well the first growing season and pruned in the summer.