The Q&A Archives: dead-heading daylilies

Question: I have a bed of daylilies and I want them to flower as long as possible. Should I dead head them and if so how should I be doing it? In the past I wait until the flowers dried up and fell off, but was wondering if I should be cutting the blooms off sooner? Any advice? I live in West-Central Wisconsin if that matters. Thanks! Lorie

Answer: I visit my daylilies every morning and snap off the spent flowers so they won't develop seed pods. This helps redirect the energy the plant would use to develop seeds into making more flowers. As long as you keep the spent flowers snapped off, your daylilies will develop more flowers. Don't cut the flower stalk down until you see no more flowers developing. Just snap off the spent flowers and you'll be amazed at how many more flowers your plants will develop. Enjoy!