The Q&A Archives: Growing Mint

Question: I have three different kinds of mint: spearmint, peppermint, and catmint. I would like to plant them side by side in an area along the side of our deck. My concern would be that they would start cross pollinating Would there be anything else that I should know about planting them side by side other than mint's reputation for rapid spreading?

Answer: Mints won't cross-pollinate the way squash and corn do, so planting them side by side is perfectly acceptable. Mint plants can become weedy and invasive, spreading by roots and by seeds. You can help keep them in bounds by planting them in containers and burying the containers in the soil. You can also help control their spreading by removing the flowers before they set seeds. Mints are wonderful additions to the garden, as long as you keep a watchful eye on them.