The Q&A Archives: No Blooms

Question: I have lovely peonies and irises but no blooms. Live at 2100 ft level in the Sierra foothills. CA poppies also do not grow here but grow in rocks everywhere else

Answer: Full sunshine is the key to getting your plants to bloom. Your growing season is short and the irises can adjust, but the peonies might need a longer summer in order to perform well. Try to find a warm place in the garden, one with reflected or radiated heat might get your peonies to bloom. Poppies like reflected, radiated heat, too, and that's why you see them growing in the wild but not in your garden. Do your best to incorporate light colored mulches or even river rocks or gravel in your garden and I think you'll see an improvement in the flowering of your plants. Best wishes with your garden!