The Q&A Archives: Growing Pole Beans

Question: I've successfully grown pole beans and sunflowers in past years. I'd like to try growing them together so the beans could climb the sunflowers. Should I plant them both at the same time? Are there any problems I should expect other than perhaps reduced production? Lon Sheffield Salt Lake City, UT

Answer: You should plant them both at the same time. The sunflower grows quite fast and will provide the support for the pole beans. However, the leaves of the sunflower are quite large and may shade the pole beans and, as you have already indicated, may reduce the yield as well as the growth of the pole beans. Another problem may be the competition between the sunflower and the pole beans for available water and nutrients.