The Q&A Archives: Hibiscus

Question: Can I plant my new Hibiscus in a container on my patio or could I plant them directly in my garden? I am concerned about whether they can survive the winters in Oklahoma. Our Winters are not too bad and we have very little snow in my part of the state.

Answer: Hibiscus are generally hardy in USDA zones 5-8. You're in zone 7, so unless you have a severe winter, hibiscus should perform well planted directly in your garden. If bad weather threatens, you can provide temporary protection for your plant. There are many cultivars available, each with slightly different growth patterns, from single to multiple-stemed plants, growing from 5 - 10 feet tall. Be sure to give your hibiscus plenty of room to grow to its full potential.