The Q&A Archives: Bird of Paradise

Question: I have several small Bird of Paradise, (5 gal) watered with a drip system. I need guidance with fertilizing, kind, NPK, liquid, granular, etc... Thank you

Answer: Bird of Paradise (Strelitzia) really is a spectacular plant so I'm not surprised you want to grow one. It's a tropical plant, though, and will be severely damaged if the temperatures drop below 29F. Young plants need frequent feeding, but if you feed mature plants too often, you'll get lush green growth and no flowers. If your plant is young, feed every 4 weeks during the growing season (spring through summer) with a 5-10-10 fertilizer. Once the plant is established, (next spring) don't feed at all unless the foliage begins to look pale. Hope this information helps you successfully grow a Bird of Paradise.