The Q&A Archives: Tomato Plants

Question: I planted tomato plants and the leaves are all turning yellow and spotted. I assume it must be the soil because I have not rotated the plants. Is there anthing I can do in the future besides not planting any tomatoes?

Answer: It is difficult to diagnose a plant problem without seeing it. Yellowing leaves can indicate overwatering or a nitrogen deficiency but spotting can indicate a fungal or bacterial disease. I can't really tell without inspecting the plant. Crop rotation is important to guard against soil borne pathogens but growing the most disease resistant tomato varieties will also help. I wish I could suggest some control measures but I just don't know what might be causing the problem. Sorry I can't be of more help.