The Q&A Archives: Pine Tree Shedding

Question: What is happening to my pine tree? It is shedding yellow needles this time of the year! When I look up at the branches, I notice that some of the branches have more yellow needles than others. It's right over my pond, and it keeps shedding and clogging my pond pump. Please help.

Answer: Pines retain their needles for different lengths of time before they shed them. So if your pine trees are showing yellow and brown needles, this does not necessarily mean they have a disease. As long as this year's needles are green and the buds are healthy, the trees will continue to grow. If this year's needles are affected, it could indicate a disease such as needle cast. Take samples of the needles to your local cooperative extension office for microscopic examination. Helpful folks there can confirm or exclude fungal diseases as the cause for the needle cast. Good luck with your pines!