The Q&A Archives: Weeping willow tree

Question: Hi, we planted a weeping willow tree last fall. The problem is that we rescued a puppy at the same time and she chewed the tree except for that last foot or so. Now we have what looks like weeping willow branches growing from the ground and what little is left of the tree. My question is what do we do? Will this grow back into a tree or will it grow into a bush or are these in fact just weeds?

Answer: Most weeping willows are grafted onto rootstocks so if the grafted part is gone and you are getting growth from the roots, you'll end up with a willow tree of sorts, but probably not a weeping willow. I'd replace the tree. If your puppy still likes to chew, you can place a temporary tree guard around the trunk. Best wishes with your pup and your landscape!