The Q&A Archives: lawn

Question: have brown spots all over my st. augustine lawn. how can i tell if this is disease or worms or whatever?

Answer: Brown Patch is the most common of all lawn diseases, and St. Augustine grass is very succeptible. It's a fungal disease that sets in when temperatures are warm (in the 80's) and humidity is high. It also strikes harder if you've used too muchnitrogen fertilizer. If brown patch happens year after year, you may need to improve the soil drainage, by incorporating more organic matter and introducing earthworms to the soil, or installing drainage tiles. Fungicides are a short-term solution that act as a band-aid rather than a cure. If this is your first experience with it, then it's probably due to unusually high humidity or raifall in your area. Your county extension office (Baldwin County Extension Office, 302A Byrne Street Bay Minette, AL 36507. Phone: (251) 937-7176) should be able to provide solutions. I hope this helps!