The Q&A Archives: Care and Feeding of Transplanted Capri Plum Tomatoes

Question: I just transplanted my Capri plum tomato plants into a large container (we're a little short on space). I wanted to make sure I had all the right conditions for a great harvest in oh...65 days or so. We've been having a couple of 40 degree nights and I've been covering the little that OK? I can't seem to find any specifics on this type of plum tomato...any suggestions?

Answer: Tomato plants grow quite large and heavy so I hope you are using at least a five gallon container for each plant! The care for your Capri Plum would be the same as for any other container grown tomato: your best bet for a good harvest is to stake the plant early and the take care to maintain a very even supply of moisture and nutrients. This will be more difficult when the weather heats up -- the plant may then need watering twice a day. Right now, be sure to protect it from overly cool temperatures as you have been. Good luck with your harvest!