The Q&A Archives: How to get rid of deer flies?

Question: I can't find anything on how to get rid of or discourage deer flies. They make it impossible to enjoy the outdoors from late June to September. Any ideas?

Answer: Unfortunately, there are no satisfactory methods for control of horse flies and deer flies. It is impractical in most regions to eliminate their breeding areas. Repellants containing DEET (N-diethyl-meta-toluamide) do not prevent flies from landing, although they may inhibit the flies from biting. Wish I had more to share. You might contact your local cooperative extension office for additional ideas. There may be an abatement programe in your county. Contact MSU cooperative extension, 820 E Grand River Ave, Howell, MI - (517) 546-3950. Best wishes with your garden!