The Q&A Archives: Bugs on Rose Bushes

Question: I have these tiny green bugs on my rose stems. I have used a type of pesticide on them bought at home depot that is used for bushes. This does not seem to work. Do you have any solutions that may work?

Answer: Tiny green bugs could describe mealybugs or hordes of aphids, but without seeing them, I'm not sure exactly what these insect pests might be. Before trying to control them, you really should have them identified. Aphids can be controlled with insecticidal soap. Mealybugs with a neem oil based product. There are also systemic pesticides made especially for roses. Collect some of these green bugs in a plastic baggie and take them to your nursery for identification. Helpful folks there can also suggest control remedies. Best wishes with your roses.