The Q&A Archives: water

Question: I just moved into my townhouse and redid my garden, removing the plants & shrubs that were originally there. During the removal process I removed several very large rocks in the soil. I planted what i wanted to plant and evertime that it rains certain parts of the garden become very flooded (this never happened before I removed everthing) is the flooding happening because I removed the rocks?

Answer: Probably moving the soil around and moving the rocks upset the balance in terms of drainage in the bed. You may want to install a curtain drain to redirect the excess water, or try adding topsoil to the low spots (you'll need to dig and replant whatever plants might be in the low spots). Either of these methods should restore the drainage to the area. Best wishes with your new garden!