The Q&A Archives: Neighborhood Cat Problems

Question: What is a safe but effective way to keep those darn neighborhood cats out of my front yard beds? They like to sleep under a large bush in the center of my bed and take care of their business and use the mulch to cover it up. I am sick of it!!!

Answer: Try covering the soil with a thick mulch - the larger the particle size, the better. Or, lay crumpled chicken wire over the spaces in the bed where there are no plants. Finally - try putting stakes around the perimeter of the bed and stringing nylon fishing line in a criss-cross fashion, keeping the line only 6 inches above the top of the soil and making sure the lines cross every 10-12 inches. Cats will get spooked if they think the fishing line will trap them.