The Q&A Archives: Yellow spots on lawn due to dog urine

Question: How can I get rid of and prevent the yellow spots on the lawn caused by my dogs' urine? I have tried putting an additive on their food to help change the pH but it does not seem to be working.

Answer: Dog urine contains concentrations of salts, so it has probably thrown the soil pH off a little. I suggest raking about an inch of compost into the area. The compost contains soil organisms that can help balance to the soil biology and chemistry. Depending on the grass species, new blades may sprout in the renovated area, but you can always put down a little seed to get it going again. If your dog usually uses your lawn for relief, douse the area with a hose to dilute the effect of the urine soon after the fact. Consider also giving the dog his/her own area and fencing it in while you enjoy the rest of the lawn.