The Q&A Archives: my azaleas have light spots on the leaves. Some are dying.

Question: I'm in Birmingham,Al. I had encore azaleas (april) put in my yard with Miracle Grow Garden Soil and good fertilizer where needed. I think they were planted correctly. They, and other regular, established azaleas all developed light spots on the leaves so we fertilized. I have a sprinkler system and we water if necessary in between. We spray when we see the recent beatles. Help save them!

Answer: Light green or yellowish patches on leaves sometimes accompanied by brown spots on the back side of leaves is a sign of rhododendron powdery mildew (Microsphaera azaleae). A fungicide should help stop the progression of the disease. Or you may want to prune them back a little to remove the fungal spores and to open them up to better air circulation. Good luck with your azaleas!