The Q&A Archives: Eaten leavev

Question: For some reason this yeay almost all my homegroun plants,the leaves are being eaten.This Baver comlete insect kille granola. I'm guessing it is some kind of catapiller.I have a lot ofbutterflies,bees&hummingbirds.I don't want anything that will effect them or earth worms.Any hints. Thanks Bob

Answer: If you think a caterpillar is feeding on your plant leaves and you have a lot of butterflies in your garden, I suspect the caterpillars are butterfly larvae. A product called Bt (bacillus thuringensis) kills caterpillars. However, if the caterpillars are butterfly larvae you'd be killing off the next generation of butterflies if you use it in your garden. I think I would protect the butterflies and their larvae and just put up with the leaf damage on the plants.