The Q&A Archives: problem with red tipped photinia

Question: I have some photinia plants that are not thriving. They were planted 2 months ago. The leaves are turning brown along the sides. I am watering about 3 times a week. Any suggestions?

Answer: Brown leaf margins are usually a sign of overwatering or over fertilizing. Photinia is subject to a fungal disease that causes brown leaf margins but also causes spots on the leaves. If there are no spots, but only brown margins, you may be overwatering. Your clay soil holds lots of moisture so watering 3 times a week may be excessive. Try watering only twice a week. If the plant begins to wilt, resume your 3 times a week watering. Otherwise, just water twice a week and watch the new growth. It should look healthy and without browning leaf margins. Best wishes with your photinia!