The Q&A Archives: how to grow mint without little white bugs

Question: i am living in los angeles, CA, i love to plant some green in my back yard, now, my back yard grow many mints every spring and summer, but i have found, there are many little white or green bugs under the leaves, i need help how can i get rid of them, is safe to eat after washing? i don't like to use chemical bug killer for the mints, i had been tried use hot chilli water, garlic water but no work

Answer: The little insects (whiteflies or aphids) can be hosed off the leaves of your plant or you can use insecticidal soap. You can wash it off without problem prior to using your mint leaves. It is made of fatty acids from plant material and will suffocate soft bodied insects such as aphids and whiteflies. Good luck with your mint!