The Q&A Archives: Transplanting Azalea

Question: Can azaleas be transplanted? We have about a dozen azaleas (2ft high) that we want to move. Can we do this and if so, what precautions should we take and when is this best to attempt? They are already flowering due to the mild winter here in CentralFlorida. We are thinking of planting these (or other azaleas) between and under two large oak trees. Jean W. Port St. John, FL

Answer: Yes, you can transplant azaleas but this is not a good time to do it since they are in active growth. I'd wait until next November or December. I am assuming that they would have finished their active growth period and any new growth would have hardened by that time. They would be relatively dormant. If you are going to wait until November, now is the time to do some root pruning to encourage new root growth in preparation for transplanting. Plunge a sharpened shovel into the ground about 1 to 1 1/2 feet from the base of the plant and go all around the plant. When it is time to transplant, dig just outside this circle and move as much of the root ball as possible. Plant the azalea at the same depth that it had been growing. Your proposed site sounds fine!