The Q&A Archives: Pineapple Sage

Question: I'm searching for a plant called Pineapple Sage. I've heard that it grows quickly and produces trumpet-shaped magenta flowers. What can you tell me about it? Does it have special growing needs? Should I start from seeds?

Answer: Pineapple Sage is Salvia elegans, a woody perennial that grows 2-3 feet high. The leaves have a pineapple scent and the plant produces brilliant red flowers. Sage likes full sunshine, well draining soil, and occasional clipping to keep the plant attractive. You can grow it indoors in a sunny windowsill or outdoors. It's a native of the Mediterranean coast and likes slightly alkaline soil. Once it's established it needs very little water in the summertime. You can start from seeds or purchase a small plant. Either way it's sure to grow into an attractive shrub within the summer season.