The Q&A Archives: shrubs for poorly drained soil

Question: I recently bought a Wigelia but the area I planted it doesn't drain well, in fact has standing water after rain- I think it drowned. What can I plant there that doesn't mind having wet

Answer: There are several plants that tolerate soggy spots. They don't exactly "soak up" water from wet soil. To do that you'd need more leaf surface than plants can provide.
Some shrubs to consider include Bottlebrush buckeye, Florida anise, Florida leucothoe, Inkberry, Sweet pepperbush, Sweetshrub, Virginia sweetspire, Wax myrtle, and Winterberry. Perennials to consider include Bee balm, Blue flag, Canna, Ironweed, Japanese iris, Joe-Pye weed, Lady fern, River oats, Royal fern, Siberian iris, Spiderwort, Swamp sunflower, Sweet flag, and Yellow flag.

Best wishes with your garden.