The Q&A Archives: Repairing eated hydrengas

Question: I bought a blue hydrenga bush last year and followed all the instructions so that it would produce beautiful blue flowers. The bush was coming in beautifully and had some blossoms. Now is has been eaten, almost down to the ground by, we think, deer. What can we do to bring it back? We have already put out something that repels the deer, rabbits and racoon that could possibly have done this. Kathy

Answer: I'm sorry you lost those beautiful blooms to deer, but luckily hydrangeas will tolerate all kinds of pruning - even by deer. Your shrub will recover and soon you will see healthy new growth appear. You may not get flowers this year - but there's a chance you will. I hope you do! You might want to place a chicken wire cylinder over what's left of the plant so deer won't browse on it while it is trying to recover. Best wishes with your hydrangea!