The Q&A Archives: Poinsettias

Question: Is it too late to start poinsettias from seed and be ready for the Christmas selling season? If not do you know where I can purchase the seeds? I am having a terrible time finding anything to do with this plant. Please help!!

Answer: All the references I checked explain how to grow poinsettias from cuttings, but not from seed. I take that to mean that the plant is rarely, if ever, propagated in this way. It could be because the plant does not produce fertile seeds, or they are exceptionally difficult to germinate, or they don't grow true to type (they don't closely resemble the parent plant.) Whatever the reason, I suggest you look into places to purchase cuttings. If you need help with this, please submit another question via the web site, and we can try to find a wholesale source for you.