The Q&A Archives: Palm Trees in containers

Question: I have several queen palms that have been in a 5 gallon container.
Question #1
Does small container stunt the growth of the tree? I see no growth in the last year or so.
Question #2
What causes these palms to have a yellow-ish color? Is it lack of iron? Not enough food. The ones that get more shade do better than the one in direct sun.
Thank you,

Answer: Small containers equal root bound plants and that equals stunted growth. I'd repot the palms using fresh potting soil. A yellowish color indicates stress, usually from lack of nutrients. I'd feed them with a half strength dilution of water soluable fertilizer (such as Miracle Gro) every 3-4 weeks. If they were planted in the ground, yellowing foliage could indicate a need for iron, but not if they are planted in containers. Plants in containers can overheat if placed in full sun. Their roots can actually bake - so that's why the ones in the shade are doing better. Hope this answers all your questions!