The Q&A Archives: herb/vegatable garden vs. pests

Question: I want to start a planter garden but I am worried about pests such as bugs and wild animals.I live in Fla. How can I economically build our own starter box for herbs and vegetables?

Answer: There are no guarantees that you won't attract wildlife or insects if you build a planter box, but I think gardening is worth the risk. You can garden in containers first to see how things go before investing time and effort into building planter boxes. If you decide to build planters, use redwood or cedar (they are slow to rot), or purchase some already made. Fill them with potting soil rather than garden soil and make sure they are at least 12-18" deep so plant roots will have ample room to grow. Good luck with your project!