The Q&A Archives: Pentas Plant Spacing

Question: I have a donut-shaped garden where I'd like to plant pentas. Its radius is about 5 feet and the planting ring is about 2 feet wide. How many plants should I use? Will they fill in the area so I can use fewer plants?

Also, considering the area I live in (Albuquerque, New Mexico), should I anticipate these dying every year and needing to be replaced? Or do they regrow?

Answer: If the circle is 10 feet across (5 foot radius) the "length" around the bed is about 31 feet. Pentas will cover about 3-4 feet, so it should take 8-10 plants for the bed.

I don't think you can carry a penta through the winter in your location, even with protection (now you've gotta try it, right?) so I'd count on replanting each year.

Good luck with your plants.