The Q&A Archives: avocados

Question: I recently bought a Haas avocado tree and would like to know if I need a second tree in order to have fruit. I have found conflicting results on the internet. thank you for your time.

Answer: Avocado pollination is rather complex which is why you are finding conflicting results on the internet. Avocado varieties have flowers categorized as either type A or type B, depending upon the time of day they open and when pollen is released. For best fruit production your type A Haas should have a type B companion such as Bacon, Jim, Sharwil, Yamagata, or Fuerte. If there are mature avocado trees already in your neighborhood, you may not need to plant a second tree in your yard. Hope this clarifies things for you!