The Q&A Archives: Germination Experiment

Question: What would be the effect of windex on the germination of radish seeds? Any other info on germination of radish seeds would be very helpful!

Answer: I can't help but wonder why anyone would want to spray window cleaner on seeds! It sounds like you are doing a school experiment. There are lots of things you can test for, that will mimic what actually happens in nature, and give you a better idea of what factors in nature affect plant growth. You could test how long germination takes at different temperatures, when seeds are exposed to light vs. kept in the dark, if soaking speeds or slows germination; you could plant the seeds in different media--soil, sand, perlite, gravel--and see if this affects germination; you could water with different temperatures of water.

I really don't know what the affect of windex would be on seed germination. I suppose it would depend on whether you soak the seeds in it before planting, water the pot with it, or just spray the seeds before planting. I would guess that if you do the first two, it would have a negative effect on germination.