The Q&A Archives: Tomato Problems

Question: Something is eating my tomatoes (a round hole at the bottom of the tomato)Like really munching away! What shall I do? Should I pick the fruit even though they are still green n let them ripen in the house? I have Sevin powder. Should I use that? Do marigolds keep squirrels away? I see a few critters eyeballing the plants.

Answer: The insecticide Sevin will control insect pests but not four legged critters or snails. And Sevin can kill bees so it shouldn't be used where there are flowering plants. We need bees for pollination. Snails can feed on tomatoes so if you have them in your garden, rake out debris to eliminate their hiding places and use a snail bait such as Sluggo. As for the four legged critters the best control is a barrier between your plants and the critters. I make cylinders out of chicken wire to cover over my vulnerable plants. Best wishes with your tomato plants!