The Q&A Archives: Outdoor lighting

Question: Is there one kind of outdoor lighting that is better than another without me having to shop around? It is shady in the back so solar lighting doesn't work but I'm worried about having those electrical wires around the yard. I think a couple of spotlights might do the trick - do they have bright lights that use a light-sensitive fixture - even though it's shady?

Answer: Outdoor lights are low voltage so you don't have to worry about running the electrical wires in your garden. But, you could thread them through PVC pipe or bury the wires so they won't pose a tripping threat. As for solar powered or even photo sensitive lights, many have a separate panel that you can set in the sun, even though the lights themselves are in the shade. There are lots of options, but you'll need to check them out personally at the store to see which appeal most to you, which will fit best in your garden and which have the panels you can set in a sunny spot in your garden. Good luck with your outdoor lighting project.