The Q&A Archives: Growing Peppers??

Question: I have just starting growing peppers for the first time (habanero, jalapeno, and anaheim) and the leaves are already turning a little yellow or brown around the edges. Am I doing something wrong?

Answer: A few things might be keeping the peppers from thriving. First of all, peppers need regular moisture, but do not enjoy wet feet. Peppers are heat lovers, and while I assume your weather has been warm, if you are in a cool microclimate, that may be reason. Also, it may be the peppers are just experiencing some transplant shock. Give them time, good drainage and warmth and they should bounce back. I always suggest having your soil tested every few years t ofind out what the nutrient levels are, so you'll know how to fertilize.